Sunday, October 17, 2004

Catalan VS Castillan

My first "interview-offer" was on a late....no, a very late evening. I sat in one of thousend taxi's in Barcelona, on my way home after a succesfull party. The taxi-driver seemed to be a very gentle and kind man, and as we spoked, my second assignment in "approach to catalan culture" came into my head(it must have been the alcohol). He told me that he was borned in Malaga, but moved to Barcelona as a little child. Allthough he didn't feel catalan because his family came from Malaga. I asked why he didn't feel catalan when he has lived in Barcelona for the whole life..."Of course I feel a little catalan!". But again he said he's family and routs came from Malaga, therefor he couldn't be catalan.
If catalalonia should be independent or not, he said he didn't care that much and that it would be very difficult to get catalonia independent from Spain. And because of his family and that he felt castillan the answer was no.

My second interview-object was the economy-lady at the company which we are renting our apartment from.
She was from Barcelona and has lived in town for all her life. Because of that, she felt catalan and her family was catalan. In her's point of view catalonia should be independent, but she agreed in what the taxi-driver said, it would be wreally difficult to get catalonia independent from Spain. Anyway, people in her family had a strong feeling of being catalan and if you ask them where they are coming from, they answer catalonia and not Spain.

My third interview-object was a waiter in a restaurant at Tibidabo. I didn't ask about he's age, but I'll guess he was in the fiftees. He was also from Barcelona and he felt catalan, but because of Franco's regime and what he did with catalonia the waiter wasn't fanatic catalan( I didn´t ask him more about Franco because he was at job and I´ll guess he didn´t have time to explain). If catalonia should be independent or not, he said he didn't wreally care, but he liked that catalonia has it's own impression. Before saying goodbye, he mention that his son Luis was very catalan, and that I should come to the restaurant tomorrow when he was working. Of course it would be interesting to listen to his opinion as well, but I answered friendly, "maybe another time".

I found the assignment very interesting and that people want to be independent from their own country is very strange in my point of view. I didn't met the very catalan-fanatic person, but after this assignment I am going to ask more people the same question. I agree that it would be very difficult getting catalonia independent from Spain, and If it is sometime, I hope it's not coming from a war...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home